Text reminders for NCL breast cancer screening programme
This is a fully funded NHS North Central London initiative to use text messaging technology to send out reminders to patients invited for Breast Screening in order to improve uptake and coverage as an addition to current services.
Breast Cancer Screening Programme
The London Breast Cancer Screening Service will identify women who are overdue and have DNA’d their second timed breast screening appointment and will send this information to iPLATO Healthcare. These women who have been identified as eligible will be sent a text message to remind them that they have missed their appointment and to rebook.
The SMS Programme will be in addition to existing programmes and no further interaction is required by GP Practices.
The text message is as follows:
[GP SURGERY NAME]: Reminder: You have missed your breast screening appointment. Please rebook now by calling the London Administration Hub on [020 3758 2024] or [www.london-breastscreening.org.uk]. Screening saves lives and Breast cancer is the UK’s most common cancer. Contact your GP to opt out of SMS
Data Processing and Data Sharing Summary
- A live connection to the practice clinical system needs to be established to facilitate this programme.
- If a new connection is required, iPLATO (text messaging and call provider), will be in contact with the practice following sign up. This will only take 5-10 minutes over the phone.
- iPLATO will facilitate the ongoing extraction of client demographic data via the practice clinical system phonebook, the data will be minimised as far as possible.
- All data is processed within the N3 network.
- North London Breast Screening Service will securely provide iPLATO with NHS Numbers only for women that meet the eligibility criteria.
- Only eligible clients in the Screening Programme will be contacted.
- iPLATO Healthcare acts as a data processor for the service.